Sunday, November 25, 2007

Content

I was thinking about what it means to be content the last few weeks. When I think about being content I automatically associate that with being complacent. I’m not ready to be complacent, I’m still looking for ways to change and improve our way of life. I’m still looking at ways to implement my “less is more” attitude towards living. If I am content then that means I’m done looking and changing. That doesn’t mean I’m unhappy with everything in our situation, I’m finding things that this particular place offers us that we may not have elsewhere. At the same time I’m continuing to dream and plan about what I’d like in the future. So I’m not content with our life but that’s okay because I’m still striving for ways to make our life even better.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I don't think that being content means we don't want to change anything in our lives. I see it more as my happiness and well-being isn't dependent on things or situations, but only on what Christ has done for me on the cross.

One of my favorite verses is Hebrews 13:5. Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." I can see the need for say, a larger garden or a second car, without being covetous of my neighbor's. Make sense?

Cyber-hugs!
Elizabeth
muddyboots.wordpress.com

Kim said...

I understand what you are saying but in my mind these are two different things. I'm content in that I know my salvation has been won for me. When it comes to my situation in life (ie. where I live, my lack of gardening skills, our property, etc.) I'm not content. I'm still striving to change those things within my power to change. I'm still making plans to move again, I'm still working on how to pare down our life and such. I've met a number of people recently that are content with their day to day lives, they love where they live and are not looking to change anything. This is where I was going.