Friday, January 26, 2007

House Guests

I must be crazy. I know some of you think I'm crazy because we have lived in a yurt with no electricity or running water, or because we have moved across the country a few times, or because we live in a house that is only 530 sq feet. But this time I know I'm out of my mind.

My mom and her husband are coming to visit next week. They are going to be here for a week or two and they are staying with us. Yep that's right, we are going to squeeze 2 more people into a house that is already too small for the four of us. I don't think my mom understands how small the house is. She visited when we were working on the floor, before we moved the furniture in, and I've sent pictures of the inside since we've moved in, but it's not the same as actually standing in the middle of the room surrounded by stuff. We have only 1 bathroom which presents a challenge on a normal day, I'm not sure what's gonna happen when we add 2 more people into the mix.

It'll either be fun or we will kill each other, I'm not quite sure which. While they are here we should increase the amount of space we have by 250 sq feet so that will help, unfortunately we won't be adding another bathroom. Malachi will finally have a room of his own, which makes me happy. He doesn't seem to care but I do because he sleeps 10 feet from the TV so when Paul and I want to watch movies that aren't appropriate for the kids we have to use the laptop in the bedroom and I'd much rather watch it on the big TV.

So we will see how things go. I wonder how long they can take it before they get a room at the local motel...

3 comments:

Marie N. said...

I know you'll be happy for the extra space. I wish you enjoyable togetherness rather than the other kind!

Presbytera said...

Tell your mother I said hi! Two weeks isn't forever and let's see if it actually *is* 2 weeks. Are they helping build another room?

Kim said...

Their Christams present to us was to come and enclose our deck. The deck is 12 x 24 so it will increase the size of our house by about 280 sq feet. Malachi will finally have a bedroom and we will move our dinning room table out there. This will free up enough space to bring in chairs for the living room and give the kids a place to set up building toys when they want to play. I'm extremely thankful but it is a huge adjustment for all of us. Paul and I are getting away this weekend for a friend's Super Bowl party which will help with the space issue; and I think, as long as we can all keep our sense of humor, it will work out okay. Especially once the deck is finished and everything is moved outside!