Saturday, August 02, 2008

I spoke too soon...

We spent the last week without internet. We had our new system up and running for one whole day before it went down. Last Thursday night the modem just suddenly stopped working. We were able to finally get a new modem yesterday only to find out the problem was with the power cord not the modem. The installer was able to get us a new cord today.

I learned some things about HughesNet...

They outsource all their tech support to India. I spent over an hour talking to various people who couldn't help me. It was more than a little frustrating to have to decipher what they were telling me. I spent lots of time asking them to repeat what they had just said since some of the accents were so thick.

The company cannot overnight parts because all their tech support people are not in this country. There is a really long convoluted process that takes place when they need to order spare parts.

They don't really care whether or not their service works. At least they were willing to credit us for the time we were down.

I learned some things about myself...

I spend way too much time on the Internet :)

I can get lots done when I'm not sitting here wasting time, like I am now.

It's really difficult to pay the bills when you don't have access to the internet and you have opted for paperless billing.

2 comments:

Marie N. said...

Earthlink has the same kind of (non)support. I love how all those Indians are named Mike and Steve and James.

Kim said...

It makes you wonder :)

I spoke with a Matt, Ann, and Sara in tech support all of whom spoke heavily accented English. It was only when I spoke with the install and billing department here in the US that I ended up with weird names and people who spoke without an accent.