Thursday, December 11, 2008

Veggies

I'm still struggling with cooking with our weekly produce delivery. So far I've found that I absolutely loath yams and I really like braeburn apples. There are just a lot of things that I don't know what to do with: kale, long choy, turnips, radishes, and such.

We tried a few recipes over the last week that worked well and a few that I won't be trying again. Radish top soup, also known as snot booger soup in this house, was a failure.



Not only is the color unappealing but it was too salty with the chicken broth. I didn't like the texture either.

The huge success was stuffed chard leaves with homemade marinara. Oh I can't even begin to tell you how good this was, we will be having it again over the weekend.



Roasted vegetable tarts were just okay. Part of the problem was that I added yams and turnips to the mix of vegetables (I found I didn't like either). The tarts were also a bit too dry for my liking. I will be trying this recipe again omitting the stuff I hate and adding a bit more liquid to the recipe.



We also had Greek style spaghetti squash and a veggie casserole with cheese. Both of these were good and will be made again when the ingredients are available. Poor Malachi thinks the world is ending since he hates the idea of all fresh veggies. I'm struggling with all the extra cooking this requires. Cooking with so much fresh produce means a lot more work and many more dishes. Where dinner used to take me 30 minutes or so to get on the table that time has at least doubled. I rarely served anything but a main dish but I've found I need to have a side dish for most of our new dinners. I'm also having difficulties using up the box of produce before the next one arrives. So far I've been choosing recipes with ingredients we have on hand or are able to get cheap. Part of the deal I made with Paul was that we would try this service as long as we can keep within our grocery budget. This means that many of our dinners have no meat. The most difficult meal of the day is lunch which is nothing new since we've always struggled with what to have for lunch. So far we've been eating a lot of pasta.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you like curries?

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/07/crockpot-indian-curry-recipe.html
http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/07/crockpot-thai-curry-recipe.html

The thai curry is so spicy it makes the yams taste different.

Cheryl said...

That first picture looks a lot like the callaloo soup we had in Grenada!

Glenda said...

Oh this is why I fear trying produce like you're doing. I've never liked yams or sweet potatoes, or kale or chard, or turnips, or.... I applaud you for trying and I hope you can find ways to like everything and use it up.

Kim said...

Thanks for the suggestion Elizabeth, unfortunately I don't care for curries.

Glenda-
I was leery of trying this service because of that too. So far dh likes the stuff I don't so none of it will go to waste. Also I figure at about $1 a pound even if we end up not eating some of it we are still getting more than our money's worth. Luckily this is the time of year for holiday potlucks for various groups so I'm going to be cooking up the yams as a side dish to take to a party next week :)

Morgan the Muse said...

yeah, that soup does not look too good....