We finally decided to take the plunge and get chickens this year. I ordered day old chicks which should arrive the first week of February. For the first time ever we've started animal housing before we actually needed it.
This is how far we had gotten by the end of today.
I'm really pleased with how quickly this is going together. If we can get it finished by next week the weather is supposed to be warm enough that I can paint.
We are using the left over plywood we scavenged a few months ago. Unfortunately we had to buy 2x4s and a bunch of hardware. Since we are using scavenged wood I tried to make the walls and door fit the cuts that were already lying around. On the whole we are going to have a well built coop for less than half the cost it would have been without scavenging. I've had lots of fun searching through my new favorite site for coop ideas. Of course this project hasn't been without a few mistakes, the biggest one being a framing mistake. I accidentally made the walls 3.5 inches taller than the plywood. To fix it I'm going to have to install a trim piece along the bottom of each wall to cover the gap. Not the end of the world but still a little frustrating.